Thanks to Adam Grant I now understand my personality better. Back in 2003 at the age of 19 I experienced what made me know I have two personalities in one. I was living with my best friend on campus at the time and I was a chairperson of a Christian organisation. I would come back to the residence exhausted from either worship or preaching and there’s nothing I’d want to do except to just eat and sleep.
Until one night my courageous friend said “ Nomusa you are a very moody person, one moment you are so energetic at the SCO and then you come here , you don’t want to talk and you look grumpy “ my jaw dropped 😳😳😳 , up until that point I had not paid attention at all towards my personality. All I knew was the fact that I was so tired. Worship used to break every single limb I had in my body , in fact I respect worshipers till today. I can preach any day but don’t call me to worship, that thing will break you and humble you. I just used to say to myself , you can’t lead people into His presence without first being humbled by Him. And humbled I was , each time I led the worship.
I also realized that I had been staying alone for over two years for the first time in my room and it’s only in my third year that I had to share. So I was accustomed to being by myself most of the time and I loved it.
Fast forward to Adam Grant’ podcast. I learned that I have a great flexibility with my personality. I have moments when I am a great extrovert and moments when I am excellent introvert . In fact KG and I agreed that I love outdoors which is why date night is one of my best all time favorite thing to do . In a restaurant full of people, people energies me and I feel alive. I will take that energy and use it to create something powerful and KG usually enjoys those experiences which I named them my “ high” moments
But I am such an introvert when I get home !!! Whilst KG then is a complete opposite.
Home is a place of rest for me and I just get home to rejuvenate and rest from all the talk and energy I would have engaged throughout the day. Come end of the day , I am so exhausted and I need some alone time by myself to rejuvenate !!
The name for this personality type is an “ ambivert” and I didn’t know that until recently !!!
I am excited about it 😊😊😊😍😍🥰🥰🥰
Here are some great resources from Healthline.com . Five signs that you are an ambivert :
1. You’re a good listener and communicator
• Extroverts prefer to talk more, and introverts like to observe and listen. But ambiverts know when to speak up and when to listen.
• An ambivert might open a meeting by giving a brief pep talk, then offer employees the chance to talk about their own challenges or concerns.
2. You have an ability to regulate behavior
• Adjusting to fit the person or situation seems to come naturally to ambiverts.
• Imagine you’re riding in an elevator with strangers. An extrovert might start making small talk, but an introvert might put in earbuds to avoid interaction. You might choose either option, depending on your fellow riders.
3. You feel comfortable in social settings, but also value your alone time
• Ambiverts can feel like they’re in their element in a crowd or when enjoying a quiet evening at home.
• Say a friend calls with a last-minute invite for an evening out. An extrovert will likely accept without hesitation, and an introvert is likely to decline in favor of staying in. The ambivert will probably consider the pros and cons of that particular outing. They could go either way.
4. Empathy comes naturally to you
• Ambiverts are able to listen and show they understand where a person is coming from.
• If a friend’s having an issue, an extrovert might try to offer a solution right away, and an introvert might be great at listening. An ambivert might listen and ask thoughtful questions to try and help.
5. You’re able to provide balance
• In the case of group settings, ambiverts can provide a much-needed balance to the social dynamic.
• An ambivert might be the one to help break an awkward silence, making others who are more introverted feel comfortable starting a conversation.
Am I the only one wondering where was this third personality type all along 🤣